This past weekend we had a few people over to our house to celebrate the holidays. I made my favorite sweets and treats, but at the suggestion of my mom, I decided to try a new Christmas cookie! She got a delicious looking recipe for Butterscotch Egg Nog Stars from a friend, so during our cookie baking day, we gave it a shot!
The results were beautiful and just as tasty as they look! Here’s the how to:
Butterscotch Eggnog Stars
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup egg nog (I used Bolthouse Farms)
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup crushed hard butterscotch candies
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tbsp. egg nog
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and egg nog. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to the creamed mixture, mix well. Divide dough in half.
2. On lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of the dough at a time to 1/4 in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2 inch star cutter. Cut out centers with a 1-1/2 in. star cutter. Line baking sheets with foil, grease foil.
3. Place large star cutouts on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle 1 tsp. candy in center of each. Repeat with remaining dough. Re-roll small cutouts if desired.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Carefully slide foil and cookies from the baking sheets onto wire racks to cool.
5. If icing cookies, beat confectioners’ sugar and enough egg nog to achieve desired consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Drizzle icing over cookies. Let stand until hardened.
We also sprinkled some of the remaining butterscotch candies while the icing was still wet. It added some sparkle and was a tasty addition too! As far as the crushing of the butterscotch candies goes, we learned a little late that a food processor would have been a MUCH faster method! That’s what we’ll be using in the future!
These were a huge hit at our holiday party, so I think I’ll be making another batch. I also want to try different flavor combinations. Bolthouse Farms has a Peppermint Mocha beverage that I think would be a yummy substitution for the egg nog. Then swap the butterscotch for candy canes, and you have a completely new cookie! :)
Do you do any holiday baking?
What’s your favorite Christmas treat?
*Disclaimer: I was provided Bolthouse Farms Holiday beverages. All opinions are my own! :)