≡ Menu

everly’s arrival {part 1}

Hello and happy Monday! Thank you so much for all of your kind words and warm wishes for the birth of little Miss Everly! I’ve been soaking up every moment with my baby girl – newborn snuggles are pretty great :)

Today to kick off a week of Mother’s Day goodness (ahem, awesome giveaways), I thought it would be appropriate to share Everly’s birth story. I tried to fit it all in 1 post, but it got WAY too long. Here’s part 1 of 2!

It all started last Saturday…

I went to Prenatal Yoga at Mommy Fitness on Saturday morning. I knew one of these days, some class HAD to be my last. Today was the day! I felt pretty good, but for the first time, there were moves that just didn’t feel right and I had to sit out.

That afternoon, we decided to head to the zoo with Eleanor. We arrived around 3:00 and almost immediately after we set foot the rainforest, I felt my contractions start.

They weren’t particularly painful and were about 10 – 15 minutes apart, so I didn’t worry too much about it. I decided not to tell anybody at that point and just focused on making some great last memories as a family of three! :)

After dinner, my contractions were getting more painful and closer together. I decided this was likely the “real deal” and it would probably be a good idea to let Jeff know what was going on. I also told my parents (who were in town for the Omaha symphony) in case things moved quickly and we needed them to leave the performance early to watch Eleanor.

While my contractions continued to progress, I did some final cleaning around the house, packed up my hospital bag, and rocked Eleanor to sleep for the last time as an only child (yes, I cried)…

Once Eleanor was in bed, I focused completely on labor and took a bath to try to relax a bit. I set the mood I wanted for laboring in our bedroom – all the lights off except for 4 candles and some quiet music playing. At 7:30 we started timing contractions.

I knew I was in for a long night, so I switched back and forth between active and resting periods. I walked, squatted, and lunged for 15 minutes before giving myself 15 minutes to either lie down to shut my eyes or bounce on a stability ball.

It quickly became clear that everything slowed way down when I wasn’t active, so I decided that it was best to stay up and moving regardless of how tired I was. I took a LOOOOOONG shower and then focused my attention on getting myself ready for the hospital.

As the pain of the contractions built, I became much more focused and used a lot of the tools I had learned in Mommy Fitness. I vocalized with a quiet “ohhhhhhhhh” as each wave of pain peaked. It was all very calm and peaceful, and during the relief between contractions I was able to easily talk with Jeff.

At 11:30, my contractions had been at least a minute long and 3 – 4 minutes apart for over an hour. The pain had definitely ramped up, so it was time to call my OB. The nurse practitioner on call gave me the all clear to head into labor and delivery, so after taking one last peek in at my only child sleeping soundly in her crib, we packed up for the hospital! We were going to meet our little girl!

To be continued…

As I mentioned above, this week on Makingmine is ALL about Mother’s Day! I have some AWESOME giveaways coming up for you mamas, so be sure to check back every day so you don’t miss out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments on this entry are closed.

ActivitiesforKidsMamaMustHaves CurrentlyReadingPrenatalandPostpartumFitness

latest photos


my partners